Weekend crime prevention operation nets 129 in Uitenhage cluster area
A total of 129 suspects were arrested in a crime prevention operation by Uitenhage cluster police from 18h00 on Friday to 06h00 on Monday.
In a statement, police spokesperson Lieutenant Gerda Swart said charges ranged from fraud, shoplifting and assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm, to theft and the possession of suspected stolen goods. She said 27 suspects were detained on drug related charges while two were taken into custody for driving under the influence of alcohol.
Forty-nine fines worth R24 500 were also issued with 20 fines being issued for liquor related crimes and five liquor outlets in Uitenhage visited to ensure compliance with the Liquor Act.
- Very hot and uncomfortable weather conditions expected over Eastern Cape
- ANC-led march demands better service delivery from Nelson Mandela Bay’s DA-led coalition
- Christmas comes early at the Nelson Mandela Bay Business Chamber
- Zuma's refusal to quit puts South Africa's economy on an even weaker footing
- Traditional and Khoi-San Leadership Bill hearings come to Eastern Cape