Weekend crime prevention operation nets 129 in Uitenhage cluster area
A total of 129 suspects were arrested in a crime prevention operation by Uitenhage cluster police from 18h00 on Friday to 06h00 on Monday.
In a statement, police spokesperson Lieutenant Gerda Swart said charges ranged from fraud, shoplifting and assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm, to theft and the possession of suspected stolen goods. She said 27 suspects were detained on drug related charges while two were taken into custody for driving under the influence of alcohol.
Forty-nine fines worth R24 500 were also issued with 20 fines being issued for liquor related crimes and five liquor outlets in Uitenhage visited to ensure compliance with the Liquor Act.
- Trollip appoints Yolanda Faro as new Metro Police Chief
- Large part of Nelson Mandela Bay without water on Thursday due to emergency repairs
- Panayiotou trial day 10 – Defence claims state ambushed them
- TRUMPED! A home owner can be evicted as an unlawful occupier
- 'Classes' again suspended at NMMU, hints on mediation making headway