Weekend crime prevention operation nets 129 in Uitenhage cluster area
A total of 129 suspects were arrested in a crime prevention operation by Uitenhage cluster police from 18h00 on Friday to 06h00 on Monday.
In a statement, police spokesperson Lieutenant Gerda Swart said charges ranged from fraud, shoplifting and assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm, to theft and the possession of suspected stolen goods. She said 27 suspects were detained on drug related charges while two were taken into custody for driving under the influence of alcohol.
Forty-nine fines worth R24 500 were also issued with 20 fines being issued for liquor related crimes and five liquor outlets in Uitenhage visited to ensure compliance with the Liquor Act.
- Petrol price April 2017: AA predicts fuel price decreases even after fuel levy increases
- Here is your weather picture for Wings and Wheels Festival and IRONMAN weekend
- East London police investigating after 34-year-old man brutally murdered
- Hero Despatch cop goes beyond duty to help pregnant woman deliver baby girl
- Castle Lager is back at the 2017 SPAR Kirkwood Wildsfees