Western Cape ANC leader dismisses “votes for cash” claims

BY CHARL BOSCH - FEBRUARY 2, 2015

The African National Congress (ANC) has denied a Sunday newspaper report that it’s Chairman in the Western Cape, Marius Fransman, has been implicated in a “votes for cash” scandal.

In an article by the Sunday Times, Fransman allegedly tried to buy support for the ruling party by promising mostly coloured voters up to R1-million if they voted against the Democratic Alliance (DA) led province in last year’s elections. The attempt backfired as members of the Cape minstrel troupes, known as Die Kaapse Klopse, who were expected to be the main beneficiaries, are now demanding that Fransman stick to his promise and pay the money.

According to the paper, Cape District Minstrel Board Chairwoman, Shahieda Thole, said that Fransman held a meeting at a restaurant, saying that he would pay between R600 000-R1-million if they supported the party and perform at President Jacob Zuma 72nd birthday celebrations in the run-up to the May elections.

Thole said they agreed and opted to campaign in the Bishop Lavis area but when enquiring about the money after the elections, in which the DA retained the province, they were told off by former National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) Provincial Chairman, Ghalieb Essop, were reportedly said, “You did ****-all for the ANC because the ANC did not win the Western Cape”.

Fransman has denied the allegations, saying that Thole was being used by opposition parties and displeased ANC members in a “smear campaign against the leadership’s good name”. Head of the Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association, Richard Stemmet, has also denied allegations by the paper that Fransman paid them R27.5-million over three years to buy costumes and hire busses, saying that “Fransman never promised us anything”.

 

IMAGE sourced from www.skills-universe.com