What’s happening in the Eastern Cape this weekend?
The weekend is here again, and it is a long one. We have found some great activities and fun events this week that will keep you busy for the whole long weekend. This time it is not just for Port Elizabeth, but for the whole of the Eastern Cape.
The chilly weather seems to be upon us for the upcoming weekend, but that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying two days of fun with your family and friends, whether you are staying at home or travelling for the long weekend.
- The weekly five kilometre Hobie Beach Park Run will take place at 8:00am at Hobie Beach. It is a family fun event and all ages are welcome to take part, with you racing against the clock. For more information visit their Facebook page.
- The Cape Recife Artisan Market & Five-a-Side Soccer Challenge will take place at 9:00am at the Pine Lodge Resort and Conference Centre. The market will have live local music, craft beer and delicious artisan food and crafts. During the market you can grab some friends and enter the Five-a-Side Soccer Challenge on the Pine Lodge Astro.
- My Spar MTB Classic will be held at the Zuurboom Farm between Hankey and Humansdorp by means of mostly jeep tracks and farm roads. The routes can be challenging and even fit riders will have to conserve enough energy in order to finish strong. Routes are in three categories of 10km, 40km and 60km and races begin at 8:00am.
- The Mr. and Miss Teen Port Elizabeth pageant crowning will take place at 13:00pm at the Athenaeum, Belmont Terrace, Central. The object of the youth pageant is to teach young children that they too can make a difference. The pageant theme this year is “Back to the Movies” where contestants will dress up according to certain movie themes.
- MTN Joyous Celebration commemorates and celebrates 20 incredible years of bringing gospel music to people of all ages, race and creed. The event will take place at the Boardwalk Festival Lawn Area, by the Boardwalk Casino at 17:00pm in the early evening.
- Stock Car Racing will be held at the Victory Raceway in its second round of the 2016 DO4SA National Championship, showcasing some of the fastest dirt oval racing cars in South Africa. Racing starts at 18:00pm, adults are charged R80 per person and children under 16 years of age are R20 per person. Track parking costs R20.
- HEBPSO Talent Show is hosting a talent show at the Jeff Masemola Hall in Uitenhage. The event is a fundraising one for its programs which include brail teaching, computer lessons and programs for other people who are partially and blind.
- Joey Rashdien will be hosting a Stand Up Comedy performance at the Boardwalk Amphitheatre on Sunday at 19:30pm. His show will tackle the touchy subject of evolution and how natural selection has blessed many figures that loom over South Africa.
- The East London Agricultural Show will commence at 8:00am on Friday and will extend to Monday until 18:00pm. The show will take place at the Gonubie Showgrounds and will be an outing for the whole family which will include a beer tent, Stardust circus music, markets, stalls and a funfair.
- The SABBS Show & Appraisal will take place at 10:30am at the Gonubie Farmers Hall in East London. Dogs presented for appraisal must be at least one year of age and all dogs are also to be microchipped.
- Mel’s Fun Farm will host a market and a family fun day from 10:00am until 15:00pm. Entrance is free for adults and R15 for children. The farm is located on Dewpoint Road, Thron Park – so come along and enjoy the fun family-friendly festivities.
- Hemingway’s Mall in East London is set to stage ‘Firmament’ by one of South Africa’s most prolific award-winning artists, Chris Chameleon. The concert will start at 20:00pm and audiences will enjoy the pleasure of listening to Chameleon’s 12 brand new songs and the stories behind them, along with his subtle humour and honest renditions.
- Tea in the Trees in Cintsa West Road, East London, will host a charity car boot sale and kids suitcase market. The charity event will extend from 9:00am until 14:00pm where, for only R50, you can fill your boot up with unwanted goods which can become another person’s treasures.
- The Motorcycle Track Day will take place all day starting at 7am. There will be three skill groups each having 20 minute sessions. Take your family and friends, and head down to the East London Grand Prix Circuit for a day of fun.
- This is an evening of wonderful entertainment for the whole family! The Grahamstown Moonlit Market will have a variety of delicious meals, entertainment and a unique shopping opportunity of amazing stalls. Join them at the Wyvern Club in Kingswood College.
- The Grahamstown Morning Market is a fun family occasion. You can expect to find stalls selling arts and crafts, bric-a-brac, plants, free-range eggs, natural cosmetic products and essential oils, with so much more. This event will be taking place at The Old Gaol from 9:30am to 12:30pm.
- The Good in Me event will have a variety of entertainment for the whole family, including story reading, live painting, music and dance, kids' games and pure outdoor fun. This is a great way to enjoy your Saturday.
- The annual RMR Makana Green Fun Run is a fun run/walk with a serious aim of promoting sustainability in the town and at Rhodes University. Enjoy a Sunday in the fresh air! Click here for more information: www.ru.ac.za/greenliving/greenfunrun
- The Mighty Men Conference will be starting today and will last the whole weekend. The purpose of the KMMC is to change men's lives by reuniting them with God and glorifying Him. To find out more, click here www.karoommc.co.za.
- The Jeffrey’s Bay “Dorp van Drome” is a lovely event which gets the community together to make this town a better place. If you want any more information, please visit their Fcaebook page: www.facebook.com/groups/JeffreysbaaiDroom
- The Jbay Cycle Club – Social Rides, is a great way for you to get into the fresh air. This is a permanent event which takes place every Saturday morning at 6am. It’s also the perfect opportunity to help with your fitness levels. Join them at the corner of Poplar and Da Gama Way in Jeffreys Bay.
- The My SPAR MTB Classic will be taking place this Sunday, and there are some beautiful routes you will be riding through. There will also be some Goodie bags, loads of fantastic lucky draw prizes and some very tempting prize money is up for grabs. Click here for more information: eastcapemtb.co.za/press-release/my-spar-mtb-classic/.
- The Karoo Food Festival, a feast of food and fun, will be taking place in Cradock from the 29th of April until the 1st of May. Tickets cost R20 per person and children under 5 will be allowed in for free. There will be live music and great food. This is a great way to spend your weekend with the family.
- The second Swaershoek MTB Challenge will take place on Sunday. This event focusses on providing enjoyment to the whole family or group of friends, which includes non-cyclists. The Karoo MTB Adventure is to raise funds for the charities in order to improve the lives of the many locals living in poor socio-economic conditions. Join them for the worthy cause!
- The Siza Vitality Half Marathon and 5km Fun run, is designed to encourage healthy living and to capture the spirit of unity that running offers, so why not get out there and enjoy the fresh air and company of your fellow community members. Click here for more info: www.sizavitality.co.za
- The Open Day at the Museum and War Memorial Carillon is a great opportunity to be part of Heritage Week at the historical society museum and Bookshop in Russell Street. There will be guided tours of the museum, guided walks of George and William Streets, plus a self-guided tour of the war memorials and monuments. Join them from 10am until 4pm.
- The Bathurst Bookfair will be taking place this Sunday, and they havesome great books, delicious food and awesome vibes on offer! Join them for a lovely day at their 13th annual Bathurst Bookfair.
More than 30 final year students whose hopes of finishing their academic journey were dashed by a lack of funds shared their excitement at being the recipients of Nelson Mandela ...
With the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Council's...
African Drumbeat did Interactive Drumming & Zulu...
Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism, in partnership with...
The FNB NMMU-Madibaz will be determined to...
The Emalahleni Local Municipality on Wednesday held a...
Southern Kings pivot, Lionel Cronje, who has been vice-captain...
Chippa United Captain, Thamsanqa Sangweni, has emphasized that Head...
Police in Uitenhage on Thursday commended the lengthy...
- Man who raped girl at Dora Nginza Hospital expected to apply for bail
- 21-year-old woman fatally stabs 40-year-old brother alleging he raped her since age 7
- NMMU will officially change to Nelson Mandela University by year end
- Port Elizabeth estate agent, Kobie Potgieter, stars in home renovation series
- Temperatures reach high discomfort levels in many parts of the Eastern Cape