Wind to blame for Baywest incident
A worker has been seriously injured after a strong wind blew down a wall at the construction site of the R1.7 billion Baywest Mall on the outskirts Port Elizabeth.
According to an article in Die Burger newspaper, the indecent happened at around 15h00 yesterday afternoon. The worker has since been rushed to the Greenacres hospital with head injuries after being ‘buried underneath blocks of bricks’ as claimed by a building contractor.
The same contractor was quoted by the newspaper as saying that workers in the area, noticed that the wall was starting to sway in the wind, before fleeing once it become obvious that the wall was going to fall down.
“All of us started to move away from the wall. Unfortunately, one of the workers reacted a little too late and the wall fell on-top of him,” the contractor said.
In a statement, Baywest Mall spokesperson, Brian Hayward, confirmed that the incident had indeed taken place, however, no further information was given.
“Only after we have a completed a full investigation into the matter, will more details be released,” said Hayward.
Photo Caption: DISASTER ON SITE... A worker has been seriously injured after a strong wind blew down a wall at the construction site of the R1.7 billion Baywest Mall on the outskirts Port Elizabeth. Photo courtesy of Leading Architecture & Design magazine.
- Hijackers flee after crashing vehicle during early Monday morning police chase
- Severe thunderstorms expected over eastern half of Eastern Cape
- Man arrested in Port Elizabeth while driving car belonging to missing woman
- Nothing wrong with employing #FeesMustFall activists if they never broke the law: NMMU
- Bridge Street Brewery says 'Au Revoir' To Charlie Finch