Zuma denounces jet saga as “sensationalism”


President Jacob Zuma has reportedly described the controversy surrounding Armscor’s alleged procurement of a brand new VIP jet, as “sensationalism” that has no truth.

“You know South Africans... even if it is a leaf just passing through, they say some animal has passed,” Zuma told the SABC in an exclusive interview while visiting Germany.

In a statement on Wednesday, Democratic Alliance (DA) leader Mmusi Maimane said the party would submit a motion to National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete, to have Defence Minister, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, explain whether Zuma was aware of the proposed purchase plans.

On Sunday, CityPress reported that Armscor had listed a number of details on its website about the specifications of a new VIP jet, estimated to cost in the region of R4-billion.

The subsequent info was abruptly removed from the site not long after, with Armscor CEO Kevin Wakeford denouncing allegations that it was committed in ordering the plane.

“I don’t know where the R4-billion comes from, because quite frankly we cannot afford it. We are looking at a whole variety of options. The affordability will determine the selection of the eventual solution and financing options,” he told the media at a briefing in Pretoria earlier this week.

Zuma is expected to make his final appearance in Parliament on November 19th to answer MP’s questions.