The death toll in the fire that engulfed a five-storey building in Johannesburg in the early hours of Thursday morning has now risen to 63.
RNews reported earlier that firefighters and emergency service personnel were called to the scene at the corner of Albert and Delversstraat around 01:30.
“Upon their arrival, firefighters and emergency service personnel began to evacuate the building while attempts were made to extinguish the fire,” said Robert Mulaudzi, spokesperson for the Johannesburg emergency service.
“We have now found 63 bodies in the rubble and 43 people have suffered minor injuries,” says Mulaudzi.
The injured were transported to various healthcare facilities for further medical treatment.
Lebogang Maile, MEC for Human Settlements and Infrastructure Development, will visit the building in Marshalltown on Thursday morning at 09:30.
The cause of the fire is currently still unknown and is being investigated. No further information is known at this stage.