Another victory for SA in the International Court of Justice

Henry

The United Nations (UN) highest court ruled in South Africa’s favor for the second time on Friday and ordered Israel to withdraw “immediately” and stop its military offensive in Rafah.

The International Court of Justice in The Hague has ordered Israel to open a key crossing in the area so that humanitarian aid can enter Rafah “unimpeded”. The country was also told to ensure “unrestricted access” for investigators who want to investigate allegations of genocide at the site in accordance with the UN’s mandate.

The court also insisted on the “unconditional” release of hostages captured by Hamas on October 7 last year.

South Africa welcomed the latest decision.

Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor described the latest ruling as a “much stronger … set of provisional measures” and a very clear call for a ceasefire.

Pandor also said South Africa was “really happy” that the court had heeded his call. The minister also argued that South Africa’s case that a genocide is underway “is getting stronger and stronger every day”.

Pandor did prepare members of the public for the fact that Israel is unlikely to comply with the International Court of Justice’s order.

The International Court of Justice rules in disputes between states and its rulings are binding, although the court has little means of enforcing them.

Pandor therefore says it is time for member states of the UN and the UN Security Council to act and apply international law. “Israel has been pursuing impunity for so long that they don’t care what the world community says.

“It is clear that we are all anxious. We all see the horror unfolding and something needs to be done and we can’t just rely on those who are the perpetrators of this ongoing onslaught to be the ones to stop it.”