Ricochet News

Two sailors die of suspected Malaria after rescue along Transkei coastline

Sep 21, 2017
Two sailors die of suspected Malaria after rescue along Transkei coastline

Despite efforts by the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) and emergency services, two sailors, a 53-year-old Panamanian and a 53-year-old Filipino, who reportedly fell unconscious as their vessel sailed up the Transkei coastline from East London, died at a Durban hospital on Wednesday.

According to Clifford Ireland, NSRI Durban station commander, at 16h00 on Wednesday, the NSRI East London were alerted by the Transnet National Ports Authority following reports of two sailors requiring urgent patient evacuation off the bulk carrier Agios Fanourios, sailing from Abijan to Durban, reported to be 92 nautical miles East of East London.

The sailors are suspected to have been suffering from Malaria.

He said that the  Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) had been alerted earlier in the day and a Government Health EMS duty doctor had assessed the patients conditions and requested an urgent patient evacuation operation.

"The distance and time constraints ruled out a ship to sea rescue craft rescue operation and the NSRI ASR (Airborne Sea Rescue) were alerted to coordinate an airborne sea rescue operation and MRCC (Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre) scrambled an SA Air Force (SAAF) 15 Squadron Oryx helicopter," Ireland described.

"NSRI Durban dispatched our NSRI ASR rescue swimmers and Netcare 911 dispatched rescue paramedics to respond to the SAAF 15 Squadron Air Force base in Durban.

"NSRI East London, NSRI Port St Johns, NSRI Port Edward and NSRI Shelly Beach were placed on alert."

He said that at 20h30, a SAAF 15 Squadron Oryx helicopter accompanied by NSRI Durban ASR rescue swimmers and with Netcare 911 rescue paramedics were airborne from Durban.

"Crew were SAAF pilot Colonel Bruce Fraser, SAAF Co-Pilot Captain Bertie Fourie, SAAF Flight Engineer Senior Warrant Officer Rob Green, SAAF Flight Sergeant Sipho Myeza, NSRI Durban ASR rescue swimmers, myself and Lorenzo Taverna-Turisan and Jonathan Kellerman and Netcare 911 rescue paramedics Konrad Jones, Dewald Schoeman and Scot Mahoney.

"We rendezvoused with the ship 13 nautical miles off-shore of Port St Johns on the Transkei Wild Coast," Ireland said.

"Our NSRI rescue swimmers and the Netcare 911 rescue paramedics were hoisted onto the ship from the helicopter and we found the two male sailors in the care of the ships medics - one in a serious condition, and one in a critical condition."

He said that medical treatment was administered and both patients and both patients conditions were stabilised and they were prepared and secured and both patients were hoisted into the helicopter in relays secured into specialised rescue stretchers.

"The Filipino patients heart failed once he was in the helicopter and CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) efforts were commenced by the Netcare 911 rescue paramedics assisted by the NSRI crew and a heart beat was restored," Ireland described.

"Medical treatment to both patients continued onboard the helicopter and we landed at hospital in Durban at 23h06 where doctors and nurses took over medical treatment of both patients.

"It was later confirmed that CPR efforts had been conducted in hospital on both patients whose conditions had deteriorated and both patients had sadly later died."