Ricochet News

Workers expected back at their posts after unions call off strike

By Afikile Lugunya - Jun 22, 2018
Workers expected back at their posts after unions call off strike

The week-long strike by Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality workers is officially over. The South African Municipal Workers' Union (SAMWU) confirmed on Friday in Port Elizabeth.

Eastern Cape Provincial Chairperson of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU), Mzwandile Toyise, and a SAMWU shop steward announced that after negotiations with the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, they managed to secure an agreement about the back pay that workers were demanding.

The negotiations were being mediated by the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA).

The strike commenced on Thursday last week when the municipality's largest union, SAMWU downed tools, and delivered their demands at the City Hall on Friday.

On Monday, another union, the Independent Municipal and Allied Trade Union (IMATU), also downed tools.

 The strike saw refuse not being collected across the City.

 According to the union representatives, the first group of workers will get R10 000, the second group get R16 000 and the last one will get R21 000. 

Although the workers wanted R30 000 instead of R21 000, they apparently accepted what was negotiated. 

Nomvula Mhadi, the Regional Chairwoman of SAMWU, said that the victory belongs to the workers.

She said that the money should be paid into their accounts by the 15th of July 2018. 

Mqondisi Nodongwe, the Regional Secretary of SAMWU, added; "We have worked and fought very hard for what we have received. The employer did not cooperate until the CCMA had to force the matter and now we are happy that the strike is finally over." 

The workers are expected to get back to their work post from Saturday going onward.