Ricochet News

29-year-old man handed life sentence for raping 65-year-old woman

Jul 31, 2018
29-year-old man handed life sentence for raping 65-year-old woman

Police have welcomed the sentencing of 29-year-old man to life by the Stutterheim Regional Court for raping a 65-year-old woman back in 2015.

Luyanda Siqola was sentenced on Friday.

"The conviction comes after the suspect sexually assaulted a 65-year-old female and robbed a 75-year-old male at KwaZidenge Location outside Stutterheim on 25 June 2015, at about 20h00," said police spokesperson, Captain Siphokazi Mawisa.

"It is alleged that two suspects entered the house and robbed the 75-year-old male of his firearm and stabbed him.

"He ran away to the village to ask for assistance, while he went out, one suspect sexually assaulted the 65-year-old female. After the incident they fled the scene with the firearm and ammunition."

She said that the Investigating Officer followed the information they received about the suspects that were involved in the rape and robbery.

"When they went to the village to interview the suspects, unfortunately the other suspect had been stabbed to death and they managed to interview the other one remaining suspect," Capt Mawisa said.

"The suspect was taken in for questioning and he denied the allegations. He was later released.

"DNA was conducted and results came in April 2016 that linked the suspect and was charged for rape and robbery. Thorough investigation led the Investigating Officer to Kieskammahoek where he recovered the firearm (a pistol) with ammunition."

She said he first appeared at Stutterheim Magistrate's Court on 17 May 2016 and on the same day, the case was transferred to Regional Court where he appeared several times.  

"On 26 July 2018, he was found guilty and was convicted and sentenced at Regional Court to undergo a life imprisonment for rape and fifteen years for robbery on 27 July 2018," said Capt Mawisa.

The Unit Commander of King Williams Town Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences (FCS), Lieutenant Colonel Zitulele Mahlambeni, said he is happy with the conviction and the sentence and hope it will serve as a deterrent to perpetrators of crime.

He commended a sterling work done by the Investigating Officer Sergeant Mkhuseli Falo that led to the conviction and sentencing of the accused.