Ricochet News

32-year-old man slapped with 30 years behind bars for brutal 2016 rape

Apr 20, 2017
32-year-old man slapped with 30 years behind bars for brutal 2016 rape

Thabiso Martins Motloung, 32, from Section K in Botshabelo, will spend the next 30 years behind bars after he was found guilty for the brutal rape of a teenager last year by the Botshabelo Regional Court.

"It was on the 26 January 2016, when the 16-year-old victim went with a female friend to watch initiates, who were coming back from the mountains," described police spokesperson, Sergeant M Xuma.

"On their way, they met up with Motloung, who at that time was unknown to the victim.

"He then asked to speak with the victim aside and requested her contact details. The victim gave Motloung her contact details and left with her female friend to watch the initiation ceremony."

Sgt Xuma said that the two then moved to another street in the same neighborhood to watch other initiates, who were also coming out.

"Again, they ran up into Motloung, who was standing outside a tuck shop entrance.

"He called the victim and asked her to accompany him to his parental place. When the victim refused, Motloung took out a knife and dragged the victim to his parental place, which in next to the tuck shop."

Motloung went inside the bedroom leaving the victim standing in the kitchen.

"A few minutes later, he called the victim into the bedroom and asked her to undress. When the victim refused, Motloung then took out a panga and threatened to assault the victim," described Sgt Xuma.

"The 16-year-old then complied and undressed while Motloung undressed himself. He then raped for the entire night."

In the morning, when the victim’s mother came to enquire about her daughter’s whereabouts, the accused said he did not know.

"Motloung later confessed to spending the night with the victim and claimed that the victim left early in the morning to her relative’s house and that he did not have any relations with the victim.

"The perpetrators’ mother found the victim hiding behind a cabinet upon opening her son’s bedroom door," described Sgt Xuma.

"The victim disclosed to the perpetrators’ mother that her son raped her and was holding her hostage. The mother then helped her escape. The victim ran to her relative’s house and called her mother. She then told her what had happen."

A case of rape was opened for investigation and assigned to Detective Constable Sizeka Mohau from Seloshesa FCS (Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences) Unit.

On the 12 April 2017 the accused was sentenced to 30 years imprisonment for rape before Botshabelo Regional Court.

The Free State Police Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Lebeoana Tsumane applauded the investigating officer for taking away yet another rapist away from the society, he also urged other rape victims to come forward and report their cases.