Ricochet News

Bobani going after paper and 'conspirators' over corruption allegations

By Afikile Lugunya - Nov 15, 2018
Bobani going after paper and 'conspirators' over corruption allegations

Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, on Thursday said that he is innocent of the allegations of corruption that again emerged in a local paper just as he settles into his new role as Mayor.

He said that his legal team was making preparations to sue the paper and "his enemies".

Allegations of corruption were first levelled against Bobani last year, and were used as the basis for his axing from his position as the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality MMC for Public Health. 

Bobani was eventually ousted as the Deputy Executive Mayor.

Bobani insisted that he was innocent of the allegations.

New allegations of corruption 

Bobani took reins after the removal of the Democratic Alliance (DA)-led coalition government following the dramatic events that took place on the 27th of August.

At the end of October, the African Christian Democratic Party’s (ACDP) and the Congress of the People (COPE) submitted a Motion of Exigency for his removal after allegations surfaced that he had apparently pocketed hundreds of thousands of Rands through an alleged corrupt relationship with a service provider on the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Integrated Public Transport System (IPTS).

Bobani had been visited by the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI) also called the Hawks over the alleged suspect payments.

While the motion was thrown out, because it was not submitted within the timeframe allowed by Council Rules, the ACDP has signalled it will be making another attempt

While United Democratic Movement (UDM) leader, Bantu Holomisa, came to Bobani's defence challenging the local paper that published the allegations to provide proof or apologise, Bobani did not publicly say aything.

Bobani insists he is innocent

On Thursday, Bobani finally spoke out about the allegations.

He blamed the paper for tarnishing his name over and over again.

"I am not a suspect, so why must I worry and not sleep because of allegations?" Bobani asked.

He added that despite all those allegations, he hasn't done anything wrong and blamed the paper for keeping him on trial for allegations that are not even truthful.

"[This paper] is the one that is keeping me on trial, but I'm not a suspect," he said.

"I am moving ahead with suing it and everyone involved in the conspiracy about me."

Follow more RNEWS articles, subscribe to our YouTube channel and for breaking news LIKE us on Facebook.