Ricochet News

Breakthrough in Uitenhage cellphone shop robbery

Apr 17, 2018
Breakthrough in Uitenhage cellphone shop robbery

In a continuous effort to solve trio crimes in the Uitenhage station area, detectives from the Operational Command Centre in Uitenhage followed up on information on Monday and apprehended a 24-year-old man on a charge of armed robbery. 

"The arrest follows after the South African Police Service in Uitenhage have launched a manhunt for three armed suspects who robbed a cellphone business in Market Street, Uitenhage on Tuesday last week at about 12:00," said police spokesperson, Capt Gerda Swart. 

"It is alleged that three armed suspects entered the shop, threatened the employees with firearms and demanded the cellphones from the store. The suspects fled from the scene in a silver vehicle with several cellphones."

She said that the 24-year-old suspect was arrested at 13:00 on Monday at a residence in Kwadwesi, Port Elizabeth, after detectives received valuable information which they followed up on. 

"Property worth more than R30 000, that was stolen during the robbery, was also recovered. The suspect is due to appear on Wednesday in the Uitenhage Magistrate’s Court on a charge of armed robbery.

The Station Commander for Uitenhage SAPS, Brigadier Laurence Soekoe, commended the members for their concerted efforts and vigilance in ensuring that they bring those culprits who break the law, to book. 

"Investigations are continuing and more arrests are imminent."