Ricochet News

Charlo Primary SGB investigating after suspending staffer for sending gifts and SMSes to kids

Oct 31, 2017
Charlo Primary SGB investigating after suspending staffer for sending gifts and SMSes to kids

The School Governing Body (SGB) at Charlo Primary School, in Charlo, Port Elizabeth, said that it is conducting thorough investigations after suspending one of its employees for allegedly sending inappropriate messages and gifts to pupils at the school.

According to a statement issued by the Charlo Primary School SGB, the man was suspended on Thursday last week.

"It came to our attention on Thursday, 26 October 2017, that some learners at [the] school received gifts and inappropriate SMS messages from the SGB employee," it said.

"The SGB will make use of professionals to gather evidence and to determine the impact of the allegations."

It said that it had taken several steps in dealing with the matter including, having a clinical psychologist speak to the parents and learners involved; informing staff at the school about the matter; requesting that parents bring forward any infomation that might assist the investigation; informing the Child Protection Unit of the SAPS, who will determine if there is a need for a criminal investigation; informing the Eastern Cape Department of Education, which sent an an independent investigator to assist the SGB with their investigation.

The Charlo Primary SGB, however, added that the school Principal, Joe McLeod, will not be involved in the investigations due to a conflict of interest.

"Rest assured that we will follow every lead and that we are doing all we can to protect our children at [the] school," the SGB assured parents.

It appealed to those with any information that might assist the investigation to contact the SGB directly.