Ricochet News

DA promises to reveal the truth behind Mayor Bobani’s alleged gun incident

Apr 1, 2019
DA promises to reveal the truth behind Mayor Bobani’s alleged gun incident

The DA conducted its own investigations after Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, allegedly threatened at gunpoint in his Mayoral office

Port Elizabeth -  As campaigning for the upcoming May 8 National and Provincial Elections gains momentum, the Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Nelson Mandela Bay says it has evidence that the incident in which it is alleged that an armed man threatened Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, in his office is far from the truth.

"Today, Monday, the DA in Nelson Mandela Bay will host a press conference to expose the truth behind an alleged security breach at Port Elizabeth City Hall," the party said.

"Last month Nelson Mandela Bay Executive Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, alleged that a man entered City Hall and apparently pointed a gun at him whilst demanding a house.

"An investigation by the DA into the reported incident has found it to be devoid of any truth."

DA Eastern Cape Premier Candidate, Nqaba Bhanga, and the DA's Federal Chairperson, who was once Bobani's boss and the Mayor of Nelson Mandela Bay, Athol Trollip, and local DA Councillors are expected to reveal what they found about the incident.

'Armed man allegedly demanded a house from Mongameli Bobani'

An unknown man, apparently armed with a firearm, reportedly managed to gain access to Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Mayor, Mongameli Bobani's office at the end of February.

The man allegedly demanded a house from Bobani at gun-point.

According to Bobani, the man entered his office and told him that he wanted to speak to him about his house before taking out his firearm.

The Mayor then had not laid charges against the unknown man.

After the incident, Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality MMC for Safety and Security, Litho Suka, said that processes to enhance security for councillors in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality were underway.

He also blamed the former DA coalition for not budgeting for security.

Follow more RNEWS articles, subscribe to our YouTube channel and for breaking news LIKE us on Facebook. For news on the Western Cape click here.