Ricochet News

Department of Water and Sanitation to keep taps running in Mbizana

Oct 30, 2017
Department of Water and Sanitation to keep taps running in Mbizana

The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) is moving with speed in ensuring that the Greater Mbizana Regional Bulk Water Supply Project is fully implemented to fulfill its mandate of access to clean water to the people of Bizana and surrounding areas.

"Phase 1 of the Greater Mbizana Regional Bulk Water Supply Project has been completed with the completion of Ludeke Dam which was launched by Minister Nomvula Mokonyane in an event that preceded OR Tambo centenary celebrations," the department said.

"This phase also includes the upgrading of Nomlacu Water Treatment Works which has increased capacity from 1ML per day to 10 ML per day, installation of a raw water pump station and raising the main bulk pipeline. 

"The area of Bizana is rural in nature and underdeveloped in many aspects but the Department has intervened and has thus ensured that 58% of the residents have access to clean water while the remaining 42% is being attended to."

In an effort to fast tract the project, the Department of Water and Sanitation has ring fenced the reticulation element of the project with an amount of R100 million even though its mandate is only the provision of the bulk supply not reticulation.

"This is to assist Local and Provincial Government to speed up the project so that people can reap the desired fruits," it said.

"While the reticulation is yet to start, the Department of Water and Sanitation has come up with interim measures to assist communities."

These measures include:

  • 80KL storage tanks have been delivered to the area of Nkantolo (Wards 4 and 27 )
  • Two 16 KL tankering trucks have been delivered to assist the Bizana Local Municipality around its wards and to service  these two 80KL storage tanks and other affected area
  • Construction team is currently on site assisting the municipality to refurbish and extend the existing non-functional infrastructure at Ward 27. So far 4 Taps are already operational and the community is already accessing safe drinking water. The intention is to stretch the line and install up to 20 taps within the next two weeks.
  • 100 hippo-rollers which stores 90 liters of water will be distributed across the Alfred Nzo District Municipality targeting the neediest households.

"Phase 2 of the project will entail further bulk infrastructure to serve the remainder of the supply area and once completed, the project will serve more than 266 000 people. 

"This phase will also see the upgrading of Nomlacu Water Treatment Works  to 20Ml/day to cover 100% of Mbizana Local Municipality during this phase," the Department said.

So far, the project has created a total of 358 skilled and unskilled local jobs and 59 direct project construction jobs.