Ricochet News

Duduzane Zuma corruption case postponed to 2019

Jul 10, 2018
Duduzane Zuma corruption case postponed to 2019

Former president, Jacob Zuma's son, Duduzane Zuma on Monday made a brief appearance in the Johannesburg Specialised Commercial Crimes Court after he was arrested by the Hawks for alleged corruption.

Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulauzdi said the charges relate to alleged corruption that was committed on 23 October 2015.

He apparently played a role when the Guptas allegedly tried to bribe former Deputy Minister of Finance, Mcebisi Jonas, at the Guptas' Saxonwold home in 2015.

Jonas was the Eastern Cape MEC for Finance before being elevated to become Deputy Minister.

It is alleged that at the meeting, Duduzane, another businessman - Fana Hlongwane, and the older Gupta brother, Ajay, offered Jonas the position of Finance Minister as well as a bribe of around R600 million.

With regards to the charges, Mulaudzi said: “At no stage was the DPCI [Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation] obliged to disclose the intricacies of the investigation in order to protect the rule of law and maintain the integrity of the criminal investigation.”

On Friday, the Hawks made arrangements with Zuma’s attorney to bring him before the court.

Zuma has been granted R100 000 bail, but the State has set out strict bail conditions. These include that he does not either directly or indirectly communicate with the witnesses, appears in person and report to the Rosebank Police Station every Tuesday and Friday at set times and he has been ordered to surrender his two passports to the investigating officer.

In addition to these, Mulauzdi said they agreed that he must not apply for any travel documentation permitting him to leave the borders of South Africa until the finalisation of the case and that he must inform the investigating officer if he is to travel outside of Gauteng or internationally with sufficient detail of the said travel and itinerary.

“The measures put in place are to ensure that the suspect is monitored and ensure his continued attendance in court,” said Mulaudzi.

The case has been postponed to 24 January 2019.

Duduzane travelled back to South Africa from Dubai last week Thursday to attend the funeral of his brother, Vusi Nhlakanipho Zuma, who died last week Sunday.

He was briefly detained at OR Tambo International Airport after landing. 

Accused number 1, Ajay Gupta, remains at large, but the Guptas have denied Jonas' allegations.

On Thursday, Duduzane is expected to appear in the Randburg Magistrate's Court on two charges of culpable homicide.

This relates to a February 2014 accident in which he allegedly crashed into the back of a taxi after losing control of his Porsche along the Grayston Drive off-ramp on the M1 highway. A woman was killed while other people were injured.