Ricochet News

Elliotdale man expected in court for shooting and killing former girlfriend

Mar 29, 2019
Elliotdale man expected in court for shooting and killing former girlfriend

Elliotdale man went to his former girlfriend's home and fatally shot her

King Williams Town - A 33-year-old Elliotdale man is expected in court on Monday after he was arrested by police on allegations of killing his former girlfriend aged 28.

"It is alleged that the suspect went to the flat of his former girlfriend on Sunday, at about 12h00 at the main street of Elliotdale," said police spokesperson, Captain Jackson Manatha.

"He allegedly found the woman alone and allegedly shot her on the upper body.

"The woman passed away at the scene."

Captain Manatha said that the man allegedly ran away after the shooting.

A murder case was later registered at the Elliotdale Police Station.

Through police investigations, the suspect was arrested on Thursday around Elliotdale town.

"He was found with unlicensed firearm. He was arrested and charged for the killing of his former girlfriend and possession of unlicensed firearm," Captain Manatha said.

The suspect will appear before the Elliotdale Magistrate’s Court on Monday, on a homicide charge and for the possession of an unlicensed firearm.

Butterworth SAPS Cluster Commander, Brigadier Ngangema Xakavu, condemned the killing of the defenceless woman.

He praised the Eilliotdale Police for the arrest of the suspect.

"The deceased was identified as Asavela Bhekizulu aged 28."

Women most likely to be killed by intimate partners or family

Last year, a United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC ) report revealed that 50 000 women worldwide were killed by intimate partners or family members between 2017 and 2018.

The figure translates to 1.3 per every 100 000 women, according to the study on gender-related killing of women and girls released.

The highest rate of women being killed by their partners or family is in Africa at 3.1 victims per 100 000 females, with rates in descending order of 1.6 in the Americas, 1.3 in Oceania, 0.9 in Asia and 0.7 in Europe.

These numbers represent the majority, at 58 percent, of an annual total of 87 000 global female homicides. That leaves 42 percent, or 27,000 murders, perpetrated by people outside the family, often for reasons rooted in cultural traditions or beliefs.

Follow more RNEWS articles, subscribe to our YouTube channel and for breaking news LIKE us on Facebook. For news on the Western Cape click here.