Ricochet News

Fugitive appears in court after confessing to kidnapping and killing missing Alice man

Jan 6, 2018
Fugitive appears in court after confessing to kidnapping and killing missing Alice man

A 42-year-old man, who had been on the run for six weeks, following allegations that he kidnapped and killed an elderly man, appeared in court on Friday, after he handed himself to the police after the media broadcasted his story.

“The suspect handed himself over to Bhisho SAPS and confessed to the kidnapping and murder of Mr Galela, that allegedly occurred six weeks ago,” described police spokesperson, Captain Khaya Tongejeni.

“The suspect, Zwelethemba Mkhetho, was arrested on Wednesday after handing himself over to the police, realizing that the net of police is closing in on him through our media alert and crime intelligence drive.”

Captain Tonjeni said that the formal identification of the body was also done on Wednesday and family members positively identified the body as the missing man.

“The body was initially recovered by Izele police members on 26 November 2017 in the same area. The matter was then still under investigation.”

He said that the suspect briefly appeared in the Alice Magistrate's Court on Friday, facing murder and kidnapping charges and the case was remanded until Thursday.

The Acting Provincial Commissioner of the Eastern Cape, Maj Gen André Swart, applauded the effective and efficient roles played by the various roleplayers leading to the arrest.

"We are grateful for the SAPS and SABC partnership and community collaboration leading up to this arrest. The family will find closure while the commencement of the trial will ensure that justice is served," said Maj Gen Swart.