Ricochet News

Gelvandale man, believed to have shot at #OperationLockdown officers, hands himself in

APRIL 12, 2016
Gelvandale man, believed to have shot at #OperationLockdown officers, hands himself in

A 22 year old Gelvandale man, believed to have shot at police officers conducting Operation Lockdown in Helenvale on Sunday, apparently handed himself in to Port Elizabeth police on Monday afternoon. He is now expected to appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's court on Wednesday for attempted murder.

The Provincial Commissioner, Lt Gen Celiwe on Monday strongly condemned the attack on police officers.

“Anyone who attacks or kills a police officer will face the full might of the law. The SAPS will not tolerate any provocation of police officers when they are performing their duties,” said Lt General Binta.

According to police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu, on Sunday afternoon, a police vehicle was shot at several times in Leith street Helenvale while members of the intervention team deployed  under Operation Lockdown were performing stop and search operations.

"It is alleged that when the two officers got out of the vehicle to search a suspect, shots were fired at them. No injuries were sustained and the suspect fled the scene," said Colonel Naidu.

"Lt Gen Celiwe Binta has reiterated  that the SAPS will not be deterred by the heinous attacks on our men and women in blue as they pursue ensuring that the communities are and feel safe and as a result the SAPS has intensified their search for the perpetrator/s. She added that the SAPS will deal with such elements decisively and unapologetically."

The Cluster Commander, Maj Gen Dawie Rabie has also reinforced that these attacks are a cause for concern not only for SAPS Management but also for the community.  Community members are urged to be vigilant and to share information that might lead to the arrest/s of these callous criminals.

Information may be reported to the nearest police station or to Crime Stop on 08600 10111 and Crime Line 3 22 11. He further urged the communities not to support people who disturb public order.

Since the start of Operation Lockdown in March 2016, the intervention units deployed in the area have made significant inroads and several suspects as well as illegal firearms and ammunition were confiscated on a daily basis.