Ricochet News

Homeless woman who kidnapped toddler at Port Elizabeth beach to apply for bail

Jan 9, 2019
Homeless woman who kidnapped toddler at Port Elizabeth beach to apply for bail

A homeless Port Elizabeth woman is again expected in court on Wednesday for a bail application after she was arrested by the PE Family Violence Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit for allegedly kidnapping a toddler last week.

The 25-year-old woman was arrested in a shack in Victoria Park Drive, Port Elizabeth on Sunday morning.

According to police spokesperson, Col Priscilla Naidu, the investigating officer, Capt Nomawethu Machewula received several calls from the public about possible sightings of the suspect and the child.

"At about 10:45, a team of detectives including the commander from the FCS unit were making enquiries in the vicinity in Victoria Park Drive when they made a breakthrough," she said.

"The child, Nefrin Lucarine Roberts was found with the suspect in a shack deep in the bushes in Victoria Park Drive."

Woman allegedly kidnapped 3-year-old boy

Police in Port Elizabeth were on the hunt for the woman, who allegedly kidnapped a three-year-old boy on Friday afternoon from a beach in Port Elizabeth.

Col Naidu said that according to the homeless woman, she alleged that  when she returned with the child after going to the shop, she could  not find the grandmother so she took the child with her.

"She could not give a reasonable explanation as to why she didn’t contact police," she added.

"The child was taken to Dora Nginza hospital for a medical examination and apart from been malnourished, he was fine.

"He has been re-united with his family." 

Follow more RNEWS articles, subscribe to our YouTube channel and for breaking news LIKE us on Facebook. For news on the Western Cape click here.