Ricochet News

'Laughable' that ANC now wants Nelson Mandela Bay under administration

Aug 31, 2017
'Laughable' that ANC now wants Nelson Mandela Bay under administration

The Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape says it is laughable that the African National Congress (ANC), which is now in the opposition in Nelson Mandela Bay, wants the Metro put under administration arguing that governance and service delivery have collapsed in the city under the DA-led coalition.

In its appeal to Eastern Cape MEC of Local Government and Traditional Affairs, Fikile Xasa, the ANC said that Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Mayor, athol Trollip, has failed to govern and was preoccupied with ousting former deputy mayor Mongameli Bobani.

"Since the local government elections in August 2016, governance and service delivery have collapsed in the City. This clearly shows the inability of the DA coalition to run the municipality," said ANC Nelson Mandela Bay Regional spokesperson, Gift Ngqondi.

"Crucially, the all-important Budget Amendments and Financial Statements to the Auditor General have still not been tabled in Council for compliance as the deadline is the 31st of August," he said, adding that it was a known fact that the DA had been clueless in fulfilling their governance obligations. ‎

"As a result, the political leadership under this administration could not address the community of the metro on the recent water crisis and recent forced evictions in Wells Estate," he said.

However, Mlindi Nhanha - the DA Eastern Cape Spokesperson, said that Nelson Mandela Bay is moving forward again, with improved basic service delivery and the wide-spread eradication of corruption.

"The Eastern Cape has countless municipalities where service delivery has either collapsed or is on a knife-edge of imminent collapse.

"Nelson Mandela Bay is in good hands and service delivery is continuously improving. Recent surveys have shown that residents rate the coalition government second to Cape Town when it comes to customer satisfaction," said Nhlanhla.

"In the light of the above, the ANC's statement is laughable to say the least. It is absurd to call for the dissolution of the NMB Council while also calling for it to be put under administration.

"This demonstrates the ANC’s uncontrollable desire to regain power in Nelson Mandela Bay - by hook or by crook, via a back door and under a guise of intervention by the MEC if necessary."

He said that the ANC has once again shown itself "to be either ignorant or wishing to violate our constitutional prescripts and the basics of local government systems and processes".

"The DA in the Eastern Cape rejects the call by the ANC as baseless and unlawful.

"This, along with second-nature fraud and service delivery collapse, is why the ANC is now in the opposition benches. Like in the majority of metros across the country, voters in NMB rejected a corrupt ANC government that allowed service delivery to collapse under their watch,"  Nhlanhla added.

"The ANC should instead replace its entire caucus for preventing crucial reports that will speed up and improve service delivery from being adopted. It’s these 50 councillors, some of whom have criminal records and others standing accused of violent crimes, who have followed in Jacob Zuma's footsteps by putting South Africans last.

"The DA has a zero-tolerance approach to corruption, whether committed by Deputy Mayors or entry level staff. This type of governance, that the ANC gave up on a decade ago, is what residents voted for."

He said that the NMB is on an upward trajectory and "we applaud Executive Mayor, Cllr Athol Trollip and his team, for making tough but necessary decisions that continue to take the Metro forward".