Ricochet News

More teens expected in court for fatal beachfront stabbing

Dec 19, 2017
More teens expected in court for fatal beachfront stabbing

Two teenagers are expected in court on Tuesday after they were arrested by Port Elizabeth police on Sunday following the fatal stabbing of another teen at the Port Elizabeth beachfront early on Sunday morning.

"Swift investigation by Detective Constable John Leppan of Humewood Trio Task Team led to the arrest of four teenagers for the alleged murder of a 17-year-old male," described police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu.

She said that at about 04:45am, police were alerted to the body of a Curtly Alexander, which was found lying on Hobie beach in Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth.

The teenagers and their victim had been part of thousands of local residents, who flocked to the beachfront where the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality officially opened the summer season festivities.

 

"Alexander sustained a fatal stab wound on his chest.  Circumstances surrounding his death is still unclear. Police in estimations continue," Col Naidu added.

"Acting on information received, about 13:45 this afternoon, three teenagers from Arcadia in Bethelsdorp were arrested at their houses while the fourth suspect (also from Arcadia) was brought to the police station by his mother.

"The suspects are aged between 16 and 18 years old. They are detained at Nerina House and SAPS Humewood respectively."

The two 16-year-old suspects appeared in court on Monday while the other two will appear on Tuesday on a charge of murder.

Col Naidu said that more arrests were expected.

The Cluster Commander for Mount Road, Major General Funeka Siganga, has commended the investigating officer for the speedy arrests and has thanked the community in providing information which led to the arrests.

"We call upon all our communities to work closely with the police and to report any incident whenever you witness any form of criminality. By doing this, you contribute to reducing crime levels and making sure that suspects are apprehended and remain behind bars. The fight against crime cannot be won by police alone therefore we need to work together to ensure that all people in the Nelson Mandela Metro enjoy a safe and peaceful festive season," added Maj Gen Siganga.