Ricochet News

New Brighton man accused of abducting and raping girls fears for his life

Oct 5, 2017
New Brighton man accused of abducting and raping girls fears for his life

The bail hearing of a 49-year-old New Brighton man, who allegedly abducted and raped two little girls in September, was postponed to Friday after he again made a brief appearance in the New Brighton Magistrate's Court on Thursday.

A group of residents picketed outside the court and appealed to the court that the man not be granted bail.

The man, who was arrested on the 21st of September, is alleged to have also helped local residents search for the missing girls, aged five and six years old, after they were reported missing by their parents after they did not return home in the evening of the previous day.

They had last been seen playing in an open field in the Chris Hani informal area in New Brighton.

"SAPS immediately responded by searching for the girls at known friends and family in the area, and by 23:00 the search was scaled up by utilising more police members, the SAPS K9 unit as well as the SAPS helicopter with search light," said police spokesperson, .Captain Andre Beetge, then.

"The search was conducted by foot patrols and searching from house to house in the area."

He said that police made a breakthrough when the six-year-old girl was found by police behind the Chevrolet Stadion just after midnight.

"The girl was found severely assaulted with stab wounds on her head and body and was rushed to Dora Nginza Hospital.

"The girl managed to give some information, which led police to clamp down on a shack dwelling in Chris Hani, where the 5-year-old girl was found with a 49-year-old suspect at 04:45," described Captain Beetge.

"Medical examinations confirmed that both girls were raped."

The 49-year-old faces charges for abduction, attempted murder and rape.

The Motherwell Cluster Commander, Major General Dawie Rabie, promised that the "SAPS will leave no stone unturned in this case and will make sure that this case receives priority and expert attention".

Meanwhile, his request on Thursday that he be held at the New Brighton police station as he fears for his life at the St Albans Correctional Facility, where he is being held, was turned down by the court.

The court said, however, it will ask the Department of Correctional Services if they can place him in a single cell.