Ricochet News

New minimum wage for Private Security Sector

Aug 28, 2017
New minimum wage for Private Security Sector

South Africa’s Private Security Sector minimum wage will with effect from 1 September 2017 increase by an average of 6,4 percent. The new Sectoral Determination (SD) will be applicable until 31 August 2018.

The current minimum wage increases for all other categories (e.g. Clerical staff, artisans, control centre operators, drivers, general workers etc.) of employees including Grade A and B security officers have been determined by utilizing the consumer price index (CPI) (Available on the 30 June 2017) reported by Stats SA on 21 June 2017, which was 5.4% plus 1% as stated in the Sectoral Determination equal to the total increase of 6.4%.

Grade C, D and E is predetermined rates as per Private Security Sectoral Determination published in the Government Gazette no: 39156 dated 01 September 2015.

The new minimum wage for security officers in Area A which constitutes major metropolitan areas will be R5 209 (2016: R4 896); Grade B is R4 668 (2016: R4 387 and; Grade C is R4 102 (2016: R3 797); D & E is R4 102 (2016: R3 792). While the new minimum wage for security officers in Area 2 (all other areas) for Grade A will be R4 323; Grade B is R3 934 and; and Grade C, D & E is R3 414.

Area A includes major metropolitan areas such as: Alberton, Bellville, Benoni, Boksburg, Bloemfontein, Brakpan, Camperdown, Chatsworth, Durban, East London, Germiston, Goodwood, Inanda, Johannesburg, Kempton Park, Kimberley, Klerksdorp, Kuils River, Mitchell’s Plain, Nigel, Oberholzer, Paarl, Pietermaritzburg, Pinetown, Port Elizabeth, Pretoria, Randburg, Randfontein, Roodepoort, Sasolburg, Simon’s Town, Somerset West, Springs, Stellenbosch, Strand, The Cape, Uitenhage, Vanderbijlpark, Vereeniging, Westonaria, Wonderboom, and Wynberg.  

After considering the National Bargaining Forum inputs the Employment Conditions Commission made recommendation(s) to the minister to publish minimum wages in the government gazette.  

The latest increase in the Private Security Sectoral Determination will be in its third and last year of implementation. The Private Security Sector, on May 2015, signed a three-year minimum wage determination. Part of the agreement includes addressing the wage gap between the higher grade security officers and those in the lower wage band.

As part of the minimum wage adjustments Sectoral Determination various allowances relating to night shift, cleaning, special allowances and others are also expected to be increased.

The Sectoral Determination prescribes minimum wages, number of leave days, working hours and termination rules.