Ricochet News

Port Elizabeth fisherman drowns near Noordhoek, father and teen son rescued

Mar 25, 2019
Port Elizabeth fisherman drowns near Noordhoek, father and teen son rescued

Port Elizabeth - Police in Port Elizabeth over the weekend opened an inquest docket for investigation after a man, who was fishing with his friend, fell into the water and drowned.

According to Ian Gray, National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) Port Elizabeth station commander, at 10h47, on Saturday, the NSRI Port Elizabeth were activated following reports of a fisherman in difficulty in amongst rocks in the surf at Lookout near to Noordhoek.

"Police Control had received the call and alerted Eastern Cape Government Health EMS, NSRI Port Elizabeth and the Nelson Mandela Bay Water Rescue Network were activated," Gray said.

"The two male friends were fishing from rocks when the one man, age 55, fell into a gully and it is suspected the fall may have been a cause of medical reasons."

He added that the NSRI Port Elizabeth station commander and crew, who were nearby to the scene at the time, responded.

"On arrival on the scene, we recovered the man from a rock pool and initiated CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) and were joined by paramedics and Advanced Life Support resuscitation efforts were applied," Gray said.

"Sadly after all efforts to resuscitate the man were exhausted, he was declared deceased.

"Condolences are conveyed to family."

He said that Port Elizabeth police have opened an inquest docket.

"The body of the man has been taken into the care of the Forensic Pathology Services."

Father and son trapped by high tide while fishing at Cape Recife Nature Reserve 

Meanwhile, Gray said that on Saturday evening, the NSRI Port Elizabeth duty crew dispatched rescue swimmers to Cape Recife Nature Reserve where a father and his son, fishing from rocks, had been cut off by the Spring high tide.

"On arrival on the scene in swells of 1 to 2.5 meters, NSRI rescue swimmers waded and swam through surf to reach the father and his 13-year-old son finding them in good spirits, but unable to get to mainland from rocks off-shore where they were fishing," he described.

"They were secured into life jackets and using ropes the NSRI rescue swimmers assisted them back to mainland without incident and no further assistance was required."

Follow more RNEWS articles, subscribe to our YouTube channel and for breaking news LIKE us on Facebook. For news on the Western Cape click here.