Ricochet News

Port Elizabeth man again in court for kidnapping and rape

Jan 13, 2017
Port Elizabeth man again in court for kidnapping and rape

A 33-year-old Port Elizabeth man is appearing in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Friday after making his first appearance in the same court on Thursday on charges of rape and kidnapping.

"The suspect was arrested at a house in Walmer location, in Port Elizabeth, during the early hours of Wednesday morning," said police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu.

She said that allegations are that on the 1st of October last year, at approximately 2:00am, the victim (24 years) was lured from a club in central Port Elizabeth by three suspects and taken to Walmer.

"The victim alleged that she was taken to a flat where one of the suspect’s attempted to rape her.

"The victim managed to fight him off and that is when the suspect contacted the other two suspects to fetch the victim from the flat," described Colonel Naidu. 

"At that stage the victim was under the impression that they were going taking her back to Central, but instead they drove in Victoria Drive into a bushy area where she was allegedly raped by both men and badly assaulted. 

"The suspects left her ‘for dead’ in the bushes. The victim managed to find her way back to Victoria Drive and was assisted by members of the public."

Another suspect (31 years), who was arrested in November, also appeared in court on Thursday for a formal bail application.

"He was charged with rape, abduction and assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm. He was denied bail and the case is remanded to 23 January 2017," said Colonel Naidu.          

A third suspect is not yet arrested.