Ricochet News

Search continues in Port Elizabeth for Joburg man who went missing at Hobie Beach

Sep 7, 2017
Search continues in Port Elizabeth for Joburg man who went missing at Hobie Beach

search operation is continuing for a second day in Port Elizabeth where a 22-year-old man from Johannesburg went missing  in the surf on Wednesday at Hobie Beach, Port Elizabeth.

According to Ian Gray, National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) Port Elizabeth station commander, at 17h09 on Wednesday, the NSRI Port Elizabeth duty crew were activated following reports of a drowning in progress at Hobie Beach.

"It was reported that 2 adult men had entered the water and after appearing to be separated from each other by currents one man had been swept towards the pier before disappearing beneath the surf," said Gray.

"The second man was able to get to shore.

"Bystanders had attempted to rescue the man before the man disappeared beneath the surf."

Gray said that the Nelson Mandela Bay (NMB) Specialist Water Emergency Resources were activated and NSRI Port Elizabeth launched the sea rescue craft Spirit of Surfski IV and NSRI rescue swimmers, Coastal Water Rescue (CWR) rescue swimmers, Blue Water Bay lifeguards, NMB Fire and Rescue Services, EC Government Health EMS, the NMB Beach Managers office and Municipal lifeguards, the SA Police Services (including the Humewood Section Vehicle and Local Criminal Record Centre) and Police Search and Rescue and a Police Dive Unit responded.

"On arrival on the scene a Forward Control Point was established and CWR rescue swimmers, Blue Water Bay lifeguards and NMB Fire and Rescue Services rescue divers were deployed into the surf to conduct free dive box-line search efforts and spotters deployed along the shoreline conducting a visual search and search efforts were joined by a NMB Beach Managers Office Mubicipal lifeguards jet-ski and the NSRI sea rescue craft conducting a sea search," he added.

"With no sign of the missing man being found a Police Dive Unit conducted a scuba dive search but despite the extensive sea and shoreline search no sign of the missing man has been found.

"The man, believed to be aged 22, is reported to be from Johannesburg and contract working in Port Elizabeth."

Gray said that police have opened an investigation and a Police Dive Unit will continue an ongoing search operation.