Ricochet News

Second suspect in Schoemakerskop murders expected in court

Nov 1, 2017
Second suspect in Schoemakerskop murders expected in court

A 37-year-old man is expected to appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Wednesday as a second suspect after he was arrested by Walmer detectives for alleged involvement in the Schoemakerskop murders that shocked many local residents.

A manhunt had been launched after 72-year-old Ken Alexander was killed when robbers invaded their Schoenmakerskop home on September 25th. Although initial police reports had said he had been shot, it was later revealed that the elderly man was brutally bludgeoned to death with a blunt object.

His wife, 78-year-old Elaine Allwright, was also brutally attacked and was in ICU at a local hospital before she passed on due to her injuries on October 5th.

That next day, the residents of Schoenmakerskop offered a R50 000 reward for information, which could lead to the arrest, prosecution and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the attack.

According to police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu, the 37-year-old man faces two charges of murder.

"The suspect was found at Kirkwood prison awaiting trial for a house robbery, which allegedly took place in October 2017, in Patterson," she described.

"Police are busy investigating possible links to other cases."

First suspect

Meanwhile, Vuyani Sifunda (21) appeared in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Monday for allegedly killing and robbing the elderly couple. 

He is also accused of killing and robbing a 49-year-old man, who was bludgeoned in a house robbery on  23 September at the Forrest Hills cemetery caretaker’s quarters.

"The case is remanded to 7/11 for bail application. He was charged on three cases of murder and aggravating robbery on two cases," Colonel Naidu said.