Ricochet News

'Situation fluid at NMU' where SASCO has announced immediate mass protest

May 2, 2018
'Situation fluid at NMU' where SASCO has announced immediate mass protest

Vehicle access to some Nelson Mandela University campuses has been closed as a result of Wednesday's mass protest led by the South African Students Congress (SASCO), the Nelson Mandela University said.

"Staff and students are therefore advised to liaise directly with their line managers and lecturers so that alternative work options may be initiated as negotiations with the protesting students continues," the university added.

"Academic staff are asked to communicate with their classes offering alternative learning work opportunities. All tests for today are postponed and new dates to hand in assignments due today will be communicated.

"Similarly, professional support staff should liaise directly with their line managers in terms of the way forward. This is particularly critical for those who work in essential services."

The university said that the present status on the ground "is fluid but we will endeavor to keep you updated".

Earlier on, the university said that it was aware of the call via social media by SASCO for a shutdown at the institution on Wednesday.

"While the University acknowledges the right to protest, it also recognises that the rights of individuals should not be infringed. That said, the University will work to keep the gates of all campuses open to allow university activities to continue," it said.

The Dean of Students Luthando Jack has confirmed that there is unhappiness among students concerning various issues, including, but not confined to NSFAS, the shuttle system, safety and accommodation and that this may be the reason for the shut-down call.

"He and other senior management were trying to engage with the SRC in an effort to avert the present status."

File image