Ricochet News

Southern Kings dealt clean slate ahead of Zebre clash

By Marc Jacobson - Sep 20, 2017
Southern Kings dealt clean slate ahead of Zebre clash

The Southern Kings are fortunate enough to have not endured any further injuries to the squad following their 31-10 Guinness Pro14 loss to Leinster at the NMB Stadium on Saturday.

Kings team doctor, Clement Plaatjies, said in the aftermath of the loss, that no serious injuries were sustained to such that will rule them out of action for the side's next encounter against Zebre this coming Saturday.

“Minor bumps and bruises, but nothing that should result in any of our players being unavailable for this weekend’s match against Zebre,” Plaatjies said.

There were some particular concerns over Captain Michael Willemse (hand) and lock Dries van Schalkwyk (ankle) who had both sustained tissue damages to their ligaments, but x-ray analyses revealed that no breaks were spotted.

Dr Plaatjies also confirmed that props Entienne Swanepoel and Rossouw De Klerk would be available for selection. The pair sat out during the Leinster encounter, after both sustained concussions the week before against Connacht, and had subsequently failed their head injury assessments.

Scrumhalf Rudi van Rooyen suffered from neck spasms earlier in the week and was absented from practice on Monday, while lock Jurie van Vuuren has been coursed with antibiotics to treat a minor leg infection.

Flyhalf Kurt Coleman was also given a clean bill of health from Plaatjies, who reported that a troublesome quad muscle was simply “tight” and had responded well to treatment.

The Kings are set to face Italy’s Zebre at the NMB Stadium on Saturday (kick-off 19:35), with hopes to rack up their first ever Pro14 victory. 

Image: Michael Willemse.