Ricochet News

Stanford Road protests continue on Friday even after man shot dead

MAY 12, 2017
Stanford Road protests continue on Friday even after man shot dead

Violent protests continued on Friday morning along Stanford Road, Helenvale, in Port Elizabeth's Northern Areas, where a 23-year-old was shot dead during Thursday's protest action.

The residents have been protesting for almost a week over what they allege is a lack of will by authorities to deal with gangsterism in the Northern Areas as well as poor service delivery. They say they are tired of empty promises from the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality and have demanded that Executive Mayor, Athol Trollip, visits the area to address them.

Meanwhile, the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) will be investigating how a 23-year-old man died on Thursday during the violent protests.

According to police spokesperson, Capt Sandra Janse Van Rensburg, police used rubber bullets to disperse the protesters, who had blocked off Stanford Road with burning tyres and were pelting passing cars with stones.

While police officers where focussed on curbing the violence, members of local gangs took advantage of the situation and fired shots at the officers.

It is not clear who fired but a local resident, Renaldo Henike (23), from Helenvale, was found shot and taken to hospital with private transport. He, however, later succumbed to his injuries.

Capt van Rensburg said that two more people were injured and it is alleged that a 27-year-old male was shot in his hand and a 24-year-old male was injured by a rubber bullet.

She said that a murder and two cases of attempted murder will be investigated by the IPID.

Cases of malicious damage to property have also been opened for investigation after a number of private vehicles and four police vehicles were damaged.

Police said that several officers sustained light injuries but were not hospitalised.

Four suspects, aged between 15 and 17 years, were arrested on charges of Public Violence.

The area is still closed for traffic and police are monitoring the situation.

The Provincial Commissioner of the Eastern Cape, Lt Gen Liziwe Ntshinga called on the public to protest peacefully and to respect the police officers deployed to protect the rights of the general public.

She extended condolences to the family of the deceased.

Image: File photo - courtesy of Marlon Daniels via Facebook