Ricochet News

Suspect executed in police holding cells during brazen attack on Mthatha police station

Aug 13, 2018
Suspect executed in police holding cells during brazen attack on Mthatha police station

The National Commissioner of Police, General Khehla John Sitole, on Monday said that he has instructed that the 72-hour Action Plan be activated following the attack on Ngangezwe Police Station in Mthatha, during the early hours of Monday morning.

During the attack, a 38-year-old man, who was being held in custody, was allegedly killed by four unknown balaclava-clad gunmen.

"It is alleged that four suspects in possession of firearms entered the Community Service Centre just after midnight and held the members on duty at gun point," police said.

"Two of the suspects proceeded to the holding cells and the members heard several gunshots. The suspects then fled the scene.

"Upon investigation, it was found that a person, who was in custody had been fatally shot."

Apparently, the murdered suspect was arrested on the 29th of July 2018 for possession of firearms.

"The motive for the killing will be investigated by the multidisciplinary team that has been activated, consisting of various specialised units including seasoned police investigators."

The National Commissioner has indicated that the Management of the South African Police Service is concerned and regrets the loss of life of a person in police custody.

“The security of our police stations and the safety of our members and detainees in our police stations are of the highest priority”, said General Sitole.

“In the meantime, I have ordered that the 72-hour Action Plan be implemented immediately to track down these perpetrators who have total disregard for human lives as well as the authority of the State. I am confident that these perpetrators will be brought to book as we continue to stamp the authority of the State."