Ricochet News

Three men linked to deadly taxi violence again expected in court on Wednesday

Mar 29, 2017
Three men linked to deadly taxi violence again expected in court on Wednesday

Three of the seven suspects, who were arrested by a police task team on Thursday last week in Port St Johns and Libode in connection with the taxi violence that left two people dead and more people injured recently, are again expected in court on Wednesday.

According to police spokesperson, Brigadier Marinda Mills; "Masixole Mgcotyelwa (18), Mzwandile Mgcotyelwa (67) and Mongameli Mgcotyelwa (29) appeared at Ngqeleni Magistrate’s Court on Monday facing charges of possession of unlicensed firearm, ammunition and dangerous weapons.

"All three suspects were remanded in custody until their next court appearance on 29 March 2017."

She said that the other four suspects appeared at Ngqeleni Magistrate’s Court last week Friday. 

"Mongameli Mgcotyelwa (29), Zozi Mncedisi (32), Themabalethu Gwana (30) and Mzwandile Mgcotyelwa (67) appeared in court facing charges of murder and attempted murder.

"The four have been remanded in custody until their next court appearance on 5 April 2017," added Brig Mills.

Last week, police said that three motor vehicles, a 303 Rifle with 25 rounds of ammunition, a home made gun, bush knives, pangas, sharp instruments and a licenced pistol were confiscated from the men during the arrests.

The arrests came after two people were killed and eight seriously injured during taxi violence incidents that recently occured at the Ntlaza taxi rank near Ngqeleni.

Police said that all the weapons will be subjected to ballistic testing.

The Provincial Commissioner of the Eastern Cape, Lieutenant General Ntshinga commended the team for the swift arrests and said that the SAPS delivered on our promise to bring those responsible for taxi violence to book.

"We will continue to put the safety of commuters first and intolerance and violence will not be allowed," she said.