Ricochet News

Two armed robbery suspects wounded, one dead after shoot out with police

Aug 27, 2018
Two armed robbery suspects wounded, one dead after shoot out with police

Two armed robbery suspects are expected in court when they recover after they were arrested following a shoot out with police in Despatch that left one other suspect dead over the weekend.

"Immediate reaction by members of Port Elizabeth Flying Squad resulted in an arrest of three robbery suspects as well as the recovery of a firearm and gas pistol following a shootout with police on Saturday," said police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Nidu.

According to police information, at about 10:20, three suspects entered a shop in End Street in Khayamnandi in Despatch.

"One person was armed with a firearm and the suspects helped themselves to groceries, meat and a small amount of cash. Upon fleeing the scene, one shot was fired, but no one sustained any injuries," described Col Naidu.

"The suspects escaped in a green Mazda vehicle. The vehicle’s registration number was immediately circulated and police in surrounding areas were alerted to be on the lookout for the vehicle."

She said that PE Flying Squad members immediately responded by rushing off to the corners of Nooitgedacht and Uitenage Roads in Kleinskool.

"The vehicle was spotted and members pursued the vehicle. The suspects fired at police, who retaliated. It is further alleged that the suspect alighted from the moving vehicle in an attempt to escape," Col Naidu added.

"The vehicle then collided into a stationary Corsa sedan vehicle. 

"The members chased after the three fleeing suspects on foot while the suspects continued fired shots at them."

Motherwell OCC, SAPS Bethelsdorp and Mount Road highway patrol vehicles arrived as backup and the search for the fleeing suspects continued.

"Flying Squad members arrested two suspects, both with gunshot wounds," Col Naidu said.

"The 31-year-old suspect sustained a gunshot wound to his right leg while the 25-year-old suspect sustained a gunshot wound to his chest and arm. The third suspect escaped."

She said that a fourth suspect (31) got out of the vehicle and fell a few yards away and died as a result of injuries sustained.

Police recovered a gas gun, which was in possession of the deceased and a 9mm pistol was also found in the vehicle.

The suspects were detained on charges of attempted murder (attack on police), possession of suspected stolen property, illegal possession of firearm and ammunition and reckless/negligent driving.

"A case of murder and attempted murder was also opened in relation to the deceased and injured suspects. Some of the stolen goods were found in the vehicle. The vehicle is not reported stolen," Col Naidu said.

The suspects are expected to appear in court soon.

The Mount Road Cluster Commander, Major General Thembisile Patekile expressed his appreciation to the members who were quick to react and apprehend the suspects.

"Criminals need to know that we are on their heels and will find them wherever they are. The deployment of additional members from the specialised units and the OCC increases our visibility and manpower hence we are able to close in on suspects immediately," added Major General Patekile.