Ricochet News

Two in ICU after drinking sour milk

Jan 31, 2015
Two in ICU after drinking sour milk

About eight people, aged between 16 and 18, were admitted in an East London hospital suffering from food poisoning after they drank sour milk on Friday, the Eastern Cape Health Department said.

Spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said the eight were from the Emaplangeni Village in Peddie.

"The people apparently treated for food poisoning from drinking sour milk. All of them are in a critical condition, two are in ICU," he said.

"We are trying to get the hospital to get samples of the product they consumed."

He said this was the second incident of food poisoning in the province after 115 people were treated after feeding from a dead cow.

He said a 64-year-old man died in the Holy Cross hospital.

"We urged the people of the Eastern Cape to stop feeding from dead animals or expired products," he warned.