Ricochet News

Walter Sisulu University stave off late NWU onslaught to claim victory

By Supplied - Jul 21, 2015
Walter Sisulu University stave off late NWU onslaught to claim victory

A late onslaught by visiting NWU-Pukke almost dashed WSU’s hopes of getting off to a winning start during a five-goal thriller at the Mthatha Campus stadium on Monday night 20 July.

Two quick goals on either side of regular and injury time during the second stanza by a desperate Pukke outfit swiftly silenced the raucous crowd who’d witnessed WSU amass a three-goal lead heading into the latter stages of the game.

WSU coach Alfred Khunou was left seething as his charges conceded two virtually identical goals in the space of less than five minutes – leaving many a fans’ nails a chewed up mess.

Pukke’s right wing play would eventually penetrate a resolute WSU defence.

A sustained period of attack would see two successive crosses from the right finding the foot and head of Pukke’s two frontmen, who’d nestle the ball above and beside the keeper into his left hand corner to find the net.

Pukke had one last chance to level matters but the eventual header following yet another swarming attack proved too tame an effort to trouble WSU’s goal minder.

The referee’s final whistle would ease the tension-filled winter night - sending many a WSU supporters home in jubilant mood.

Despite a subpar first half performance, WSU would go into the break a goal up courtesy of a fortuitous deflection by Mkhuseli Mfeketho into the keeper’s left corner.

It was a curious game with even more curious cases of déjá vu as WSU would score their next two goals in virtually the same manner.

Lanky Siphesande Matoni would finish off a sweeping move with consummate ease, side-footing the ball into the keeper’s left corner to give WSU a two goal cushion.

Midway through the second half, another break from midfield would find a willing accomplice on the left who would present a gilt-edged chance to Mfeketho in the middle of the box.

The nuggety number seven would duly oblige to register his brace and leave NWU effectively dead and buried.

Next WSU travel to the capital took take on TUT on Monday 27 July.