Ricochet News

What documents are acceptable as proof of address as per FICA?

Mar 19, 2018
What documents are acceptable as proof of address as per FICA?

An amendment to the National Road Traffic act requires that motorists provide proof of residence when applying and renewing motor vehicle or driver’s licences.

This is similar to RICA (in telecoms) or FICA (in banking), and will be used to update the Electronic National Administration Traffic Information System (eNaTIS) database.

It is compulsory that verification of address must be done with any motor vehicle or driving licence transaction, as prescribed in terms of the national Road Traffic Act.

Remember, it is your duty as the vehicle's owner, to ensure that the licence is renewed before it expires. If the licence is not renewed you are liable to pay late licensing penalties and arrears. There is a grace period of 21 days after the expiry date of the vehicle's licence in which to renew the licence without incurring penalties and arrears.

The document to be used as a proof of address MUST be less than 3 months old AND contain the following details of the account holder:

  1. The name OR initials AND the surname;
  2. The physical address (and/or postal address) the account holder used on the from when registering the account.

Verification Documents

A list of valid FICA documents that can be used to verify physical residential address is detailed below:

  • A utility bill, such as water, electricity or rates (less than 3 months); 
    • -We may accept a utility bill that are addressed to a post box number if it shows your name, erf/stand number, township and suburb
  • A bank or financial statement (less than 3 months old);
  • A municipal rates and taxes invoice (less than 3 months old);
  • A telephone account, ie. a landline or cellphone account (less than 3 months old);
  • Official correspondence from the South African Revenue Services (SARS) (less than 3 months old);
  • A retail account statement/invoice (less than 3 months old);
  • Where the person live in any type of residence (eg. hostel/barracks) a letter from the administration department of such residence on an official letterhead (less than 3 months old)
  • Correspondence from a body corporate or share–block association (less than 3 months old);
  • Applicants who reside at an informal settlement or in a rural area must submit a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor or local tribal authority confirming the postal and residential address of the applicant (less than 3 months old);
  • A mortgage statement from a financial institution, (less than 6 months old);
  • A copy of a signed lease agreement (by both parties), (less than 1 year old);
  • An official tax return/tax assessment (less than 1 year old);
  • A recent short-term insurance policy document or life insurance policy document or renewal letter (less than 1 year old);
  • A valid television license document (less than 1 year old); and
  • A recent short–term insurance policy document or a short–term insurance renewal letter.