Ricochet News

Work to Recommence at Nooitgedagt after Budget Restored

Feb 1, 2018
Work to Recommence at Nooitgedagt after Budget Restored

The Nooitgedagt Phase 3 budget has been restored to R93 million, bringing the project back to life, Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Mayor, Athol Trollip, said on Thursday.

"Contractors walked off site last week when it was announced that the National Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) was slashing the budget by R34 million," he described.

"The drought-stricken Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality had appealed to the DWS to reconsider this decision. Thus, we welcome the commitment to recommence work from Monday."

Troollip said that this is an important development, confirmed verbally today by senior national water officials.

"Once Phase 3 comes online, the low level scheme will provide approximately 210 million litres of water to our Metro.

"We still face a critical water crisis with our western supply dams now at 25.67% capacity. We all need to continue saving water in whatever way we can," the Mayor said.

"The Metro’s multi-pronged water turnaround strategy continues without hesitation, requiring each of us to use no more than 60 litres of water each day."

Residents are urged to report all water leaks to 0800 20 50 50.