Bail for Klerksdorp suspect


Wernich Botha (33), the man who was arrested this morning in connection with an assault incident in Klerksdorp, North West, was released on bail of R2 000.

Botha appeared in the magistrate’s court in Klerksdorp on Thursday.

According to col. Adéle Myburgh, police spokesperson, Botha is charged with attempted murder and assault with intent to seriously injure.

“The case has been adjourned until October 19 for further investigation,” Myburgh confirmed.

RNews earlier reported that Botha was arrested on Thursday morning in connection with an assault incident that took place on Sunday at 13:25 in the parking lot of a shopping center in Doringkruin in the city.

According to information, Botha allegedly assaulted two men, who have been identified as Hilton Pretorius (32) and PW Roos (44).

Both victims were taken to a local hospital after the incident. Roos suffered a shoulder injury and concussion. He has since been released from the hospital. Pretorius suffered serious brain damage and is still in hospital.

A Back-a-Buddy fundraising initiative was launched for Pretorius to cover his medical and legal costs.

“Hilton Pretorius – beloved father, son and brother – is currently fighting for his life in hospital. Hilton suffered very serious injuries and is currently in the intensive care unit (ICU). His skull is cracked, he has bleeding on the brain and is currently under sedation. His medical and legal costs are astronomical. We are asking for any help, if possible, to help the family in this regard,” reads the message of the fundraising initiative.

A video of the incident has spread like wildfire on social media in the past few days.

“The police ask that members of the public do not distribute the video further because it could interfere with the investigation.”

Lt. Gen. Sello Kwena, the provincial police commissioner in the North West, condemned the incident and said that conflict should be resolved peacefully and that people should refrain from violence.