Ballito: Fifth victim found alive

Henry

In what is being hailed as a miracle, a construction worker was found alive on Saturday after a sandbar gave way at a construction site in Zen Drive in Ballito, in KwaZulu-Natal.

“Four victims were located and unfortunately pronounced dead at the scene,” said Samantha Meyrick, spokeswoman for IPSS Rescue.

“Miraculously, a fifth victim was found alive. The person is currently in the care of IPSS paramedics while work is being done to free him.”

The patient’s condition was still unclear a short time ago.

An air ambulance was put on standby to take the patient to a hospital as soon as possible, said Meyrick.

The search for the victims was temporarily suspended earlier on Saturday after more parts of the sand bank gave way. The help of the eThekwini emergency services was called in, among other things, so that the search and rescue effort could continue with the help of specialist equipment.

Due to the great danger for rescue workers, the efforts had to be continued with great caution.

Various agencies, including the Durban Metropolitan Police’s search and rescue unit, the police search and rescue unit, the dog unit, fire services, traffic police and other private emergency services, were also on the scene to help.