Boyfriend in court after mother, boy’s death


For the family of Nadine Terblanche and her nine-year-old son, Ruandré, who was apparently murdered by their gardener, it was a small consolation on Monday that a second suspect was arrested.

Even worse was that their beloved daughter’s boyfriend slipped into the dock and was accused of planning her murder.

The state claims Freddie Stapelberg (34) planned the murder of Terblanche and Ruandré last year. He made his first appearance in Palmridge Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

Nadine and Ruandré were murdered on 27 November in their home in Randhart, Alberton.

On the same day, their garden worker, Pardon Danhire (37), was arrested and charged with the murders. He was apparently in the house when Stapelberg arrived there.

At that time, Lt. Col. Mavela Masondo, Gauteng police spokesperson, confirms that Stapelberg was apparently attacked by Danhire with an ax upon his arrival.

Stapelberg could believe then attracted the attention of a security guard who reacted quickly and arrested Danhire. Upon closer examination, Terblanche and Ruandré’s bodies were found in the house. Mother and son were pronounced dead at the scene.

Freddie Stapelberg

Stapelberg, who has posted lengthy and emotional tributes on social media since Terblanche’s death, appeared emotionless in court on Monday.

He was dressed in long trousers and a blue and white T-shirt. He did not look around at his own or Terblanche’s family sitting in the public gallery. Terblanche’s family could be identified by the black and white T-shirts with her and Ruandré’s photos printed on them.

According to the indictment, Stapelberg faces two charges of premeditated murder. He and Danhire’s hearings will be joined for the time being after Stapelberg completes his bail application. Danhire had already dropped his bail application at his previous court appearances.

He is currently being held in Boksburg prison. The state applied on Monday that Stapelberg should therefore be detained in Johannesburg.

Stapelberg will remain in custody there until next month and only then apply for bail.

Freddie Stapelberg

Outside the court, Ryno Meyer, the Terblanche family’s spokesperson, said the family was overwhelmed.

“We will not have peace until this matter is settled,” he says.

Carol Terblanche, Nadine’s mother, was very emotional outside the court and was hugged by family and friends.

Pearl Mazibuko from Kathorus Parliament, a pressure group against gender violence, praised the police for their good investigative work.

“We knew from the outset that something was not right with the case and we are glad there is progress,” she said.