Five suspects are behind bars in connection with the mass slaughter at a house in KwaNobuhle, on the outskirts of Uitenhage in the Eastern Cape, where six people were shot dead earlier this week.
Col. Police spokesperson Priscilla Naidu says a task force comprising the provincial unit for serious and violent crime, the crime intelligence unit, the tactical response team, the national intervention unit (NIU) and the anti-gang unit arrested the suspects early Thursday morning.
The suspects, aged between 21 and 34, were arrested in KwaNobuhle and Arcadia in Bethelsdorp.
RNews earlier reported that three armed men entered the premises of a house in Mdledlestraat at 19:40 on Tuesday and started shooting. Some of the victims were shot at the gate, while others were shot closer to the house.
A total of ten people were shot. Five men and a woman died, and another three men and a woman were seriously wounded.
“Two of the injured are still in hospital while the other two have already been discharged,” says Naidu.
The six victims’ family identified them as Siyabonga Williams (24), Sinovuyo Nene (24), Mzuvukile Grootboom (33), Siyamthanda Vena (27), Siyanda Luther Mlilwana (29) and Sivenathi Mxaku (17).
According to Naidu, the incident is suspected to be related to drugs.
“The suspects will soon appear in the magistrate’s court at KwaNobuhle on charges of murder and attempted murder.”
Lt. Gen. Nomthethelili Lillian Mene praised the arrests and said the task force showed unwavering commitment and exceptional skill in apprehending the alleged attackers.
“Their tireless efforts, perseverance and careful investigation led to the swift arrest. They have worked tirelessly since this incident, sacrificing their own comfort and safety to ensure that the arrests will bring comfort to the families of the victims,” said Mene.