Only 89 words of min. Bheki Cele’s speech on Wednesday was devoted to a “plan of action” to stop the increasing attacks on trucks. Rise Mzanzi went to count.
The party is by no means pleased with the fact that no arrests have yet been made regarding the recent attacks on no less than 21 trucks in KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo and Mpumalanga.
Makashule Gana of Rise Mzanzi says the party is particularly concerned that there is still no coordinated plan to finally put an end to “this sustained attack on the country’s economy and the life and livelihood of South Africans”.
Agri SA had earlier called for the army to be called in to help protect important routes, and Gana now says the National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (NatJoints) must intervene.
“Crime has contributing socio-economic factors, which law enforcement authorities are not equipped to deal with alone.”
Cele said on Wednesday that 12 suspects had been identified for their alleged involvement in the wave of attacks on trucks. This investigation is ongoing.
“We are already busy with our plan of action, we are not doing anything,” assured Cele.
According to the minister, all major routes are currently secured and regular patrols are carried out along identified high-risk routes.
“It doesn’t matter what the motive is, the country’s law enforcement remains on high alert and is working hard to prevent more attacks on trucks and give these gangs or thugs hell for the havoc they cause on our roads,” said Cele said.