The Bulls lost the last game of the team’s European adventure with 31–23 against Edinburgh.
The defeat means that the Pretorians now occupy third place in the official United Rugby Championship standings, but a few home games now beckon at Loftus Versfeld for the players in blue.
Marcell Coetzee’s red card – his shoulder made contact with Pierre Schoeman’s head – and Chris Hanekom’s yellow card opened the door in the second half for the Scottish team to mount a comeback.
With 13 players on the field, the Bulls’ half-time lead of 13-11 turned into a 21-13 deficit in no time.
Rugby fans in the city of Jakaranda can rightly grumble about the consistency of the decisions, especially after only a yellow card was waved in the direction of Edinburgh’s Bill Mata when he performed a similar tackle to Coetzee.
But the PRC silverware is certainly not won in November and the Bulls can be satisfied with their performances in Europe.
In addition, the Pretorians can also soon count on the quick-footed play of Kurt-Lee Arendse and Canan Moodie.
Edinburgh: Tries: Ewan Ashman (2), Duhan van der Merwe and Bill Mata. Goal kick: Ben Healy. Penalties: Healy (3).
Bulls: Tries: Devon Williams and Elrigh Louw. Goal kicks: Johan Goosen and Jaco van der Walt. Penalty kicks: Goosen (2) and Van der Walt.
- Bulls’ next game: 25 November against Connacht at Loftus Versfeld.
- PRC Scoring:
- Ulster: 18 points after five games
- Edinburgh: 17 points after five games
- Bulls: 15 points after five games
- Leinster: 15 points after four games
- Glasgow Warriors: 15 points after four games
- Connacht: 14 points after four games
- Benetton: 14 points after four games
- Munster: 13 points after four games
- Stormers: 11 points after four games
- Zebre: 11 points after five games
- Ospreys: 10 points after four games
- Cardiff: 9 points after five games
- Lions: 9 points after five games
- Scarlets: 6 points after four games
- Dragons: 2 points after four games
- Sharks: 1 point after four games.