Gauteng’s controversial e-toll system ‘dead and buried’

Henry

The controversial e-toll system in Gauteng will be a thing of the past by the end of March. However, the infrastructure will remain in place for crime fighting.

Jacob Mamabolo, MEC for finance in Gauteng, said in his provincial budget speech on Tuesday that the Gauteng government will pay 30% of the total debt burden and that he has approached financial institutions to comply with the undertaking. The remaining 70% will be paid by the national government.

“As part of the process to bring this to an end, statutory authorities at national level, namely the Treasury, the Department of Transport and the South African National Roads Agency (Sanral), will take the necessary steps to ensure the collection of e-tolls to strike and it properly in the government Gazette to announce.”

Enoch Godongwana, Minister of Finance, already announced the end of e-toll in October 2022.

According to Mamabolo, motorists will 14 days after the deregulation of the system in the government Gazette was announced, no longer paying for the use of Gauteng highways.

“Several processes will be put in place in the run-up to that date, including turning off the beeping of the e-chips and stopping the issuing of invoices.” E-chips will still be able to be used to pay at other toll gates.

In response to Mamabolo’s announcement, Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi said the e-toll system is “dead and buried”. “It is indeed a proud moment. Less talk, more work.”

However, there are still no further announcements regarding Lesufi’s statements that R6.9 billion will be refunded to those who paid e-toll. Lesufi has since retracted the statement.