Generator explodes at Tuks


A standby generator exploded and caught fire at the University of Pretoria’s Department of Economic and Management Sciences on Wednesday.

“The Tshwane emergency services were called to the scene at around 08:42,” says Charles Mabaso, spokesperson for the city’s emergency services.

“A standby generator exploded. The fire department was immediately deployed. Two generators were engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at the scene and they immediately started fighting the fire.”

The fire is extinguished. No one was injured and no damage to buildings was reported.

The cause of the explosion and the fire have yet to be determined.