Gr. 1 girl apparently dies after eating candy cookies

Henry

A Gr. 1 girl from Mandlethu Primary School in Tsakane in Brakpan died on Tuesday after allegedly eating cookies from a local spaza shop.

Matome Chiloane, MEC for education in Gauteng, says he feels devastated by the incident.

“The learner allegedly felt sick in class just before the break, around 11:00, and started vomiting a few minutes later.

“The learner’s parents were immediately notified and asked to come to the school, while emergency services were also called to provide the necessary medical assistance.”

However, the learner was pronounced dead by paramedics upon their arrival.

The police are investigating the circumstances surrounding this incident.

Chiloane says the parents have confirmed that the child ate cookies that were bought from a local spaza shop and that are owned by foreigners.

“Our support unit will be deployed on Wednesday to provide trauma support and counseling to all affected persons.

“We are deeply saddened by this unfortunate incident. We plead with parents to be vigilant about the food and drink their children consume. We call on law enforcement agencies and municipalities to be stricter regarding compliance issues related to spaza store products.

“We want to express our deepest condolences to the family and the school community,” says Chiloane.