Jon Rahm also had a prize then

Henry

Everyone has a price. So does Spanish golf star Jon Rahm.

The 29-year-old Rahm announced in an interview with Fox News on Thursday evening that he had joined the controversial LIV series.

This after repeatedly saying for the last two years that he could not be bought and that he would never turn his back on the PGA Series.

However, Rahm’s defection to the Saudi Arabian-financed series does not come as a surprise as it has already been reported numerous times in the last month that the world’s no. 3 player decided to turn his back on the PGA Series.

The official announcement finally came Thursday night after talks between the PGA and LIV Series.

The PGA boss Jay Monaham and the chairman of Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund (PiF), Yasir Al-Rumayyan, held negotiations this week about the merger of the two series.

Insiders say the talks didn’t go well and that’s why the LIV series decided to make the Rahm announcement.

The LIV Series is apparently unhappy that the PGA Series may also involve other investors to ensure the future of the game.

The Fenway sports group, which among other things owns the English football team Liverpool, is believed to be the preferred candidate to become a partner of the PGA series.

However, the PiF wants to be the PGA series’ only partner so that it can be an important role player in the game.

Rumor has it that LIV paid an incredible $600 million (about R12 billion) for Rahm to join the series.

However, sources say the amount is not that much and closer to $400 million (nearly R8 billion).

Rahm, a two-time Major champion, is the LIV series’ biggest and most expensive fish they have ever reeled in.

At the inception of the series two years ago, Dustin Johnson was reportedly paid $200 million, with Phil Mickelson reportedly receiving $300 million to retire from the PGA Series.

LIV’s managing director, Greg Norman, said that Tiger Woods’ signature was hunted at all costs for a while.

The 15-time Major champion reportedly turned down an offer of $700 million and declared his loyalty to the PGA series.

On Thursday evening, minutes after the Rahm announcement, Woods said in a statement that he was committed to securing the future of the PGA Series with his fellow player directors.

He will also do everything in his power to protect every player in the organization’s interests, Woods said.

The PGA Series said in a statement that it will continue its efforts to unify the game.

They did not say anything specific about Rahm’s decision.

Many players have also already commented on Rahm’s defection.

The Englishman Justin Rose says this is a big blow for the PGA series and he hopes there are no more top players who will follow Rahm.

Rahm has been denounced in golf circles as a money wolf and hypocrite.

In his transition announcement, Rahm said he was comfortable with his decision to turn his back on the PGA Series.

“I like the LIV series and the innovation they show. I also like that the series is played in different countries,” Rahm said.

South Africa’s Ernie Els said earlier this week that the PGA and LIV series must quickly reach an agreement to protect the game.

Els, who described the LIV series as circus golf, says he does not believe in the LIV format and that the PGA series is the best stage for the world’s top players to compete.

The deadline for the PGA and LIV series to find a workable and acceptable cooperation agreement for the future is December 31.

Woods said last week that everything possible will be done to meet the deadline so that next year there will be clarity for the players and all stakeholders about the future of the game.