Malema and co’s application regarding state speech attendance struck out

Henry

Six EFF MPs, including EFF leader Julius Malema and his deputy Floyd Shivambu, will not be able to attend this year’s state of the nation address.

The six MPs’ urgent application in the Western Cape High Court to be allowed to attend the State of the Nation Address was struck from the roll with costs on Tuesday. The case was not ready for trial as the applicants filed some of their court documents late.

Parliament welcomed the ruling, saying it agreed with the majority ruling that the onus was on the applicant to ensure he abided by court rules and had a well-prepared case ripe for trial.

“The EFF’s unreasonable timeframes and its submission at midnight before the next court day not only inconvenienced parliament and the court, but also indicated that they are not ready for their application to be heard,” said Moloto Mothapo, spokesman of the parliament, said.

The suspension of the six EFF MPs is in effect from 1 February to 29 February. They have been suspended without compensation and are prohibited from attending the state speech.

Malema, Floyd Shivambu, Mbuyiseni Ndlozi, Marshall Dlamini, Sinawo Tambo and Vuyani Pambo were found guilty of contempt of parliament by parliament’s powers and privileges committee last year. This followed after they took the stage last year during pres. stormed Cyril Ramaphosa’s State of the Union address and refused to leave the session. They were eventually removed by parliament’s security services.

Malema and the other EFF MPs withdrew from the parliamentary hearing after he argued that there was a “predetermined outcome” for the matter. He also referred to the proceedings as a boondocks court. However, the powers and privileges committee proceeded with the case without the accused.